Friday, February 10, 2012

Second-Hand Boogers: It's About Time

I love writing about my daughter. It's interesting for me to analyze what she does. I get to study her while I raise her. It's a nice set of goggles to see the world through sometimes. Other times, I think too much about the horrible things that might happen. That's not all bad, considering the fact that I'll be prepared to deal with anything that comes my or her way. What I do realize through all of this is that time is flying by, and I need to hang on to every second that I can.

The day I write this is my dad's sixtieth birthday. I left him a message, and I'm sure I'll talk to him in a day or two. That's a big number in some respects, but it's still young in the grand scheme of things. I'll be thirty-six this year. It'll be ten years since I hit panic mode and decided to do something that I always wanted to do. In the past ten years, I have written comic books, blogs and most of a screenplay. I have acted in a dozen movies. I have published a book, recorded a stand-up comedy CD and made music for a movie. I helped to create a popular movie review website and podcast network. I have taken time seriously. I need to continue that trend in other aspects of my life.



Casey will be four this year, and that's amazing to me. She's a wonderful little monkey, and I enjoy the time I have with her. It's funny, but I thought I needed to document as much of her life as I could. It turns out that this is detrimental. I bought a camera before she was born. I sold it awhile ago. Why? Beside the fact that I bought a better video camera, I realized that I'd rather live with her than record her living. I prefer to be a participant than an observer.

As much as I love doing this, it's time to move on to living it. I have plenty to do, and this won't be the end of my work. This is the continuation of what I love to do most. I am a dad. I love being a dad. I don't care about showing someone what we did at a certain time. I just want to do that thing. Looking at life through a camera lens is no good. Living life with Casey is the best. Sometimes we need to put down the camera and grab onto a little hand. Photos, cameras and hard drives can all fade, and yeah, so can memories, but I'll enjoy it now while I can. Life doesn't give you forever, so I'll take what I can get right now. I hope you do the same.

No comments: